Sunday, February 17, 2013

Internship Gerlag & Gerlag (2008/2009)

At my school it was required to do 2 internships; 50 days each.

My first internship was at the furniture company of the father of a schoolmate.
Due to their work on prototypes I'm not allowed to show or tell about the projects I made at their company.

None the less I can show some 3D drawings we had to make as an intern assignment directed from school.
That task was to come up with a few new ideas which could be helpful for the company.

The company I worked for mainly made chairs, tables, couches and closets. Most products were made in foreign countries like China and Romania. Here in Holland they made the prototype which they copied in the previous named countries.
None the less they did make some couches and chairs at the working place I was at.

Their characteristics were classic/modern. It wasn't something antique with reliefs or woodcarvings nor was it really modern like the use of chrome legs.
They used a lot of wood, sometimes big boards of wood were used in table tops.
Their fabric colors were varied; most often they used colors that weren't at the bright side of the color scale like grey, moss green, black, beige. Sometimes they had striped fabric, others had some sort of pattern.

Below I add some pictures to show their style of work:

This image is property of Gerlag & Gerlag 
This image is property of Gerlag & Gerlag 

This image is property of Gerlag & Gerlag 

This image is property of Gerlag & Gerlag 

This image is property of Gerlag & Gerlag 


In the first days of my internship I had to measure up and make 2D drawings of most of the couches/ chairs in the showroom. This gave me quit some time to get familiar with their type of design.
For the design task I chose to do some table designs. 

Table with a checkered pattern in the tabletop.


A basic and classic styled table


A table with 2 X marks on the tabletop.
Because tables alone were a bit boring I tried to
create an ambiance using 3D drawn items in my image.


Sidetable with little pegs at the tabletop corners, which I saw in one of their table designs as well.


A different colored version of the one above and with 3 legs instead of 4.
The diagonal leg was taken from a ellipse shaped table they already had made.


Again a more classic looking table

Same table as above, but now with some more characteristic items.

That is about it when it comes to showing pictures.
The only things I can tell is that I made the drawings and prototype for a new type of foldable tabletop.
Next to that I worked at a flyer display made from an old table.
Also I designed and made a small rack to place fabric examples on.
And I helped with the making of the wooden frame of a couch armrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment