Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Railz Miniworld part 2 (2009)

After finishing my internship, getting a reward for being best student of our department (Furniture, Architecture and Construction-Infra) and graduation, I went back to Railz Miniworld to help them out to finish their mayor project: Miniature city Rotterdam.

There weren't much weeks left till the deadline, but I got several things to do.
 One of the things was to come up with a drawing and prototype for a new frame which had to be placed underneath the existing buses. It needed to be able to contain the existing wheel-part and electronic compartments.

This was the prototype I designed:
bus frame top view
Bus frame bottom view
Bus frame side view
It wasn't 100% accurate, since the front wheels weren't able to make the full turn. Unfortunately, due to the battery pack  there wasn't any plastic left to carve out that needed extra space.

Another project I got was to make a mall which came beneath an apartment complex.
For that I had to come up with some random stores which could be placed in Rotterdam.
One of the first things I wanted was an Irish Pub. For some reason I like the rustic vibe it gives.
This also was the part with the most pieces.
Next to it had to become a passage, which I made like an old city entrance.
Other stores I included were: A supermarket, a snackbar; with a wall take out, a toystore, a bookstore, a clothingstore and a candyshop.
Also I was allowed to come up with names for these stores.
The Pub I called Murphy's Law; it sounds Irish and it has the deeper meaning of: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Luckily nothing went wrong.
2 Other stores I named were: Bert Smid (toy store, derived from the Dutch toy store "Bart Smit") and Scapibra (A clothing/item store derived from the combination of "Scapino" and "Wibra")

Murphy's Law, the passage and
the snackbar in their unpainted state.
Murphy's Law at the other side.


The finished version of Murphy's Law.
Because it's dark brown it's not really visible on this photo,
But I can assure you that it looked very well with the lights on.

The supermarket

Scapibra and Bert Smid
The finished mall piece; the rooftop isn't fully painted because
of the apartment complex which  will be placed on top of it.

The end product with the apartment complex on top of the mall; notice that the side isn't finished yet. The road isn't finished painting, there's junk all over the place and no figurines are displayed yet.

Next I got to make a few bridges every here and there where the rails would go over the water. I don´t have pictures of those laying around.
We were send home after the big opening; they simply didn't have any projects anymore for use at that moment.

A picture from the official Railz Miniworld site at which you can see
the end result of some buildings I covered in my 2 Railz blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment