Saturday, June 29, 2013

Book stand (2011)

Personally I don't like to read, I just don't have the concentration to keep me focused page after page. I rather see a movie. None the less I do own a collection of fantasy related books; mostly encyclopedias and how-to-draw-books. Some of those books contain beautiful pictures of fantasy creatures. Therefor I wanted to build a book stand on which I could put a book with its pages open.

Finished book stand with a book about fantasy creatures (a Gryphon to be more precise)

It's not one of the biggest projects, but a fun project in between.

It's entirely made from MDF. If I should remake it I would choose a different wood type like plywood, because it doesn't bend as much as MDF does on the small parts of the bottom, which I would also make a bit bigger next time.

I designed this directly onto the wood instead of making a template. I took some angles that seem to look nice and added a nice old curly pattern to it.

When it was all sawn out I painted it with black primer, then I put a layer of gold paint on top of it, letting the black background shimmer through at some places.
And as an extra worn off look I added some black acrylic paint at joining edges.


The book stand shown from its side.

No comments:

Post a Comment