Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bird Outhouse (2013)

My father collects bird houses to put in this big walnut tree we have in our yard.
For his birthday I thought it would be fun to make a "Bird Outhouse".

Finished bird outhouse.

It's constructed from plywood. I tried pine wood at first but those pieces of board were to curved to work with.
I carved in some lines to make it look like it was made from several boards. And when it was finished I stained it with very diluted acrylic paint and gave it a nice mat varnish.

What you see through the door.
What you see from above.


Inside I made a little stool as you'd see in old outhouses. And I made a tiny toilet paper roll.
The door can be locked using a pin and the top can be opened to see if there's a nest or something.
The toilet stool can be taken out, making it more appropriate for a bird to nest inside.

I placed a little sign on the door that says "Vrij" (Free) and "Bezet" (Occupied)

Also on the side I glued a sign as a bit of a joke:

Fun sign.
A "Schijtlijster" isn't a real bird. It's roughly translated as someone who's chicken.
But the literal translation would be "Prohibited for shitty birds"

No comments:

Post a Comment