Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cabinet cart (2012)

When I build the Painters Cabinet (see  previous post), I forgot to take account that in the end things might get quite heavy.
And after putting all the painting supplies inside it wasn't the easiest cabinet to transport things with.
It's perfect for standing in a closet or on a desk, but to take it with me every week to my course wasn't.

The solution is a cart, which off course, had to be custom made by myself.

Almost finished cart, it needs a front panel to be complete.


I wanted it to resemble some sort of trolley, therefor it got 2 wheels in the back and two "legs" in the front. This way it can travel but it can also stand solid on it's place.
For the design I took the decorational pieces as inspiration.
The side has an open space which is slightly wider than the ridge standing out the side of the cabinet. This makes it possible that the box slides perfectly in between and stays in place without the need of tying it down.

The cart is made from plywood, which is sturdier than MDF and it doesn't soak up moisture as much.
Unpainted front side



Unpainted left perspective
Unpainted right perspective

Unpainted right side'

Painted right side with the connection piece
Close up of the connection piece



 The lace like connection piece connects the two panels of the side. It's made from a solid board which I sanded/ grinded down to lace like strings.


No comments:

Post a Comment