Saturday, September 28, 2013

CD Storage Unit; Ammo box (2013)

Finished army box.
In my car I always have the problem where I can keep my collection of CD's. Normally I stall them in the placing in the door, but that wasn't the best option.

At a market I saw ammunition boxes on sale and I thought that would be a great option for storing CD's, but those aren't fit for that purpose, so I made my own.

I started of with by making a box suitable to hold 35 CD's. It's a simple basic box; a bottom, 4 sides + a lid which is constructed in the same way.


A simple, basic box.

This box got painted with acrylics in a nice rusty red. Lateron I can sand through the top layer a bit, which gives it a more rustic old look.
Rusty red.
After the red, it got an army green layer.



"not so army" green.
I wasn't happy with this color and gave it a better army color later on.
Next it needed some words. I looked online what kind of things are written on these kind of boxes. Mostly they contained codes of which I didn't know what they meant. Instead I made my own:
"35 CD Storage unit
120 MM, 700 MB
W.v. D. 30-04-1986"

And this says exactly what it needs to say: 35 CD's. They are 120 mm big and contain approximately 700 MB. My name letters are: W.v.D. I'm female and born at 30th of April 1986.


Cutting out the template.

However I made one crucial mistake: I used spray paint on a paper template. Paper curls up, what means that when you spray paint it, the paint easily gets underneath and blurs the lines.
I had to repaint the failed side of the box 3 times over!
After it was one color again I retried it using the dabbing technique with a paintbrush.

When everything was finished I screwed on the hinges and the lock piece.
And of course I added  35 CD's.


Closed box.






Opened box filled with CD's.
And no, that's not the symbol of a pokéball. I tried to make a CD symbol.




35 CD's alphabetical ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment