Sunday, September 29, 2013

Stained Glass Course (2013)

This in the end assignment of my Stained Glass Course, which I followed next to the Wood/ Marble Imitation classes.

Finished piece.

It was an utterly awful design if I may be honest.
We had to pick our own pattern from the internet. I thought this one wasn't that hard because it doesn't have that many pieces.
In the end this happened to be the most difficult one of everyone. Even the teacher had a hard time to get the pieces without breaking the glass.

It became so difficult due to the bent lines. Bent lines aren't that difficult, but if you have to take a hollow shape out of something with a thin "neck" then it is extremely hard not to break things.
The other rookie mistake I made was to use patterned glass, it contains structure and some air bubbles. This glass will eventually break quicker than normal float glass.

In the end I think I tried like 15 times to make the lower dark green parts and about 10 times the orange curls.

I succeeded to make it all on my own, but then some pieces broke during the solder process.
Because we were running low on dark green structure glass, my teacher made the pieces from a different type and color glass.

I'm not done learning so I will make more stained glass items. The teacher is learning how to make stained glass with paintings inside of them (like those in churches). Once he knows enough we might get to learn it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment