Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Jigsaw Puzzle Plant Pot (2014)

Next to the garbage bin flower pots I also made a pot from a jigsaw puzzle.
I bought a puzzle mat to roll up your unfinished puzzle and with it was a free (but not a very pretty) jigsaw puzzle (1000 pieces). I decided to make something out of it and that became a flower pot.

I started with a circle of cardboard, to serve as a flat base. On that I put a plastic pot to use as a guidance to build around.
With some wood glue I glued every piece into place. Some pieces were trimmed to get 1 straight edge.

Side view of the finished pot, without color.
Top view of the finished pot, without color.
 Every 5 layers or so I would stop and put something heavy (a book) on it so it would flatten the surface and pressing the glue together.
Because I noticed the pile of pieces was running down very fast I decided to gain some extra height by glueing some of them vertically.

When all was done I spray painted the pot in a silver color.

Finished pot; side view
Finished pot; top view


The orange plastic pot isn't so nice, I'll change it with a black one.
Inside there is a small plastic container to prevent leaking when watering the plant.



Note: This was a very good puzzle for this type of project. Because all pieces had 2 holes and 2 pins aligned to each other. So no irregularities like 4 holes or  2 pins at associated edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment