Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Metal Chest (2015)

This is a renovation project.

 2nd hand I got my hands on a free chest. I thought it was a relative small chest, but it used to be an old army chest of 1 meter width. Luckily it fitted exactly in my car.

Finished chest

The man I got it from used it for his children (well to store their toys, not the children themselves). It was bright green and covered with stickers. On the inside there was adhesive foil.

What it was before
Nice decoration
Perspective view; I'm still unsure if this is the color they used in the army.



First off I took out the foil and all the metal/ wood pieces (except the handles on the side)
After that, I sanded all the metal and painted it chocolade brown and black.

Halfway during the paint process. Everything it taped for the black lining.

What it looked without the tape.

I used some new wood which I stained + I added a bottom rim with feet. Which I thought was a nice addition.

Then there was this problem with the locks. There were some pieces missing.
I took out the remaining lock and I made some new hinges, since I wasn't able to find new ones and the ones somewhat similar were really expensive.
Because their main purpose is decorational, I made these from plywood. I used a Dremel to sand out the inner bits.
Everything was sanded, painted black an got a gold finish.

Front and back view of the lock hinges in process.

Everything was hammered back on; I even had to make a bunch of nails (60+) to reattach the edge pieces on the wood and the locks. There were made from long iron nails which I ground to size and give it a tip again.

Finished front view

Finished perspective view

Note: I forgot to make a picture of the inside. I put a piece of hardboard to the floor. The walls inside are really uneven so I couldn't put hardboard against it. Therefor I decided to sand it down the best I could.


No comments:

Post a Comment