Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Tardis Mirror Frame (2015)

To complete the previous Dr. Who Tardis post; I've created a mirror frame for my Whovian Friend.

The Finished Tardis mirror with the doors open.
I don't have all the pictures from beginning to end. Mainly because it's the same process as the Tardis from my previous post

To start I first made a 3D model. This way I knew what the measurements were. I did change the depth of the frame during the proces (making it a bit more deeper)
3D model of the frame; I used some basic coloring to give myself a quick view of what it would look like. (No lights, fancy backgrounds, accurate coloring etc.)
From that model I made all the wooden pieces and glued them together.
When you've got all the pieces you can start sanding.
I used plywood which edges always need a bit extra care. I used wood filler to make it smooth.
2 Layers of grey primer were added and finished off with 2 layers of "Tardis-blue"
After the 1st layer of primer and some sanding.
The backside was left open, so the mirror could be glued in place. In the building plan I  left a small rim (0,5 cm) so the mirror would stay in place no matter what.
 
3D model of the backside; note the rim for the mirror + the extra space in the top part to fit in the electronics.

Backside with the mirror in place.
The mirror is glued with contact glue and the rim with wood glue. To this the back plate was attached.

Just as the miniature Tardis I added some light to this one.
The top part is hollow making some space to put in the wires, LED's and batteries.
Small lid with the battery pack.
Front view with the lights on.

Some hinges were added and details were glued on and there you have it: A Tardis mirror frame.


Finished Tardis
Side view of the Tardis

























This frame is able to stand on its own. I added some anti slip feet to it.
If you like to hang it you can either drill 2 holes in the hollow back part or use 2 hook with eyelets.







No comments:

Post a Comment