Saturday, June 20, 2015

Triptych "Old Wood" (2015)

A co-worker of my mother asked me if I could make a triptych using my techniques to paint wood and make it antique looking.
Also she wanted her year of birth stamped on it.

The finished piece

I started off by making a pattern for the arcs and hearts, then I've sawn it out of MDF.
The parts were coated with a grey primer and as a base color I've used a dark tone of beige.
Using several pigments I added the wood structure. This was done with on a water base mixture, because it dries quicker and there will be less problems with the finishing coat which is oil based .

The parts with their base color
















Wood structure added, next step is the "antiquing"
















The oil base doesn't dissolve the water based layer. However! The strokes of the brush can rub it off. So try not to stroke too much with this last layer. To prevent this, you can use a varnish to secure the water-based layer.

And the last part was to create the stamp and use it with some acrylic paint.
When that is applied, the whole piece can be coated with 2 layers of varnish.
And by adding 4 hinges it becomes 1 fold-able piece.


The piece when folded

I made another one for my mother, she wanted to paint and decorate it herself.

My mothers decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment