Sunday, December 13, 2015

Dog Bed Evy (2015)

This year we got a puppy; it's a French Bulldog mix and a real goofy dog.
She slept in a dog bench to be house-trained. Once she was house-trained she needed a new place to sleep. Therefor I build her a dog bed with 2 drawers to storage a bunch of her toys.

3D drawing
The main idea was to make a bed that looked like an apple crate; which is a quite common item around here due to all the orchards.
I wanted to make it out of left over pallet wood, but I wasn't able to get my hands on some spare parts. So I decided to make my own version out of MDF.

With a router I grinded some horizontal lines to imitate separate planks.
The parts together made a box; with triangular pieces it turned from a box into a crate.

Closed
One drawer open

Both drawers open

When the woodwork was finished, some fake screw holes were made while the actual screw holes were filled up and sanded smooth.

1 layer of primer and the filled screw holes

After a nice layer of grey primer it was time to give it the actual color; which was also grey.
The top edge was painted white.
When everything was an even color I used my wood imitation techniques to paint a simple pine grain all around.

Wood grain backside
Finished front side with open drawers


I was in doubt to add some stamps, but it would probably look to chaotic, so I left it the way it was.
I added some rope to the drawers; this way our dog is able to open them herself. (Now we have to learn her to close them too)

End result with our little doggie.





No comments:

Post a Comment