Sunday, April 3, 2016

FruitCorso "Time Flies"; Swallow Model (2016)

I wasn't allowed to post this sooner as the design was still a secret.
But this years' theme is "Time Flies"; it's a clock that is carried by swallows and butterflies.
I got the task to create the heads of  the birds, but I didn't have a really good reference so I build my own model.

Finished Swallow front view
To start a project as this it's important to have  bunch of reference material. In other words: Get yourself a lot of pictures of the subject, preferable from different angles.

Before I started I made some sort of frame. I glued several sticks and stirrers together (and later even more sticks as the bird became to heavy for the first support)
On this I mounted a piece of tinfoil wrapped a bit to the shape of the bird.

Abstract tin foil art.

On this sad looking "abstract art" I added clay, I gave it a face and some details as body feathers. I didn't add the wings/tail or legs, but I gave it little stumps where they should be.


Stumpy body

The wings are made from scraps of cardboard. On paper I made a drawing of one wing. This I copied a few times to be able to cut the separate feathers. (As they overlap, you can't cut them from just 1 copy).
For the second wing you flip the paper templates.
My wings consist of 4 parts: Inner-part, big feathers, smaller feathers, outer-part. The inner and outer part have so many small feathers, it's easier to create them with a layer of clay.
The clay will also smoothen the transition from the wings/ tail to the body.

Bird with the cardboard wings.

Iron wire feet.

For it's feet I used iron wire for a frame and wrapped it with some thread. The nails are done separately and glued them on when they were dry.
When all was done I painted everything with white primer (I didn't want it to be glossy).

I also made a new frame to support it.

Right side
Left side



Back side

 
Semi-front side

No comments:

Post a Comment